The Story So Far

In the event that you don’t want to dig through a giant pile of posts just to get the gist of my story, here is a summary of my crazy circumstances:

February 11th, 2014: I find out I’m pregnant.

March 7th, 2014: I have a dating ultrasound.  I find out I am 8w 1d pregnant, and a due date of October 16th, 2014 is picked.

May 27th, 2014: It’s a boy!

July 2014: I finally start showing around 17 weeks.  The pregnancy begins to feel real.  We get excited.  We paint the nursery and start buying things.  We decide to name our son Brock.

October 16th, 2014: Brock’s due date comes and goes without event.  My body is showing absolutely no signs of impending labour, and I have no reason to believe I am going to deliver anytime soon.

October 19th, 2014: I notice Brock isn’t moving and go into the hospital for a NST.  My midwife is not concerned by the fact he does not move once during the scan because his heart is still beating; she doesn’t see his distress.  She says he is fine and sends me home.

October 21st, 2014: I’m called back in for additional testing by another midwife who did not like what she heard about my appointment.  It is too late: Brock died sometime in the two days prior.  My world falls apart.

October 23rd, 2014: After a 45-hour induction (but only 12 minutes of pushing), Brock is stillborn at 12:57pm.  He is 7 lbs, 6.4 oz, and 21.5 inches long.  The cord is wrapped twice around his neck so tightly that it needed to be cut before he could be fully delivered.  After we say our goodbyes and leave the hospital that evening, he is taken to Sick Kids for an autopsy.

October 25th, 2014: I borrow a pump and start pumping Brock’s milk to donate to a local hospital.

November 2nd, 2014: We hold a visitation for Brock.

January 17th, 2015: I finish weaning from the pump.  After almost 3 months of pumping day and night, I donate 1,371 oz (about 40 1/2 liters, or 10.7 gallons) of breast milk to a hospital specializing in treatment for critically ill and premature babies.

February 12th, 2015: I get a faint positive on a home pregnancy test.

March 5th, 2015: We have a dating ultrasound.  We have one baby developing with a heartbeat in the 130s; I am estimated to be 7 weeks pregnant.  A tentative due date of October 22nd, 2015 is picked (one day before Brock’s birthday).

May 16th, 2015: Brock’s autopsy comes back, telling us what we already knew: his cause of death was almost certainly related to his cord.  This is the answer we expected, but not the one we wanted.  More tough decisions await.

May 29th, 2015: We find out we’re expecting another boy.

October 6th, 2015:  After more and more issues continue to arise and persist during my pregnancy (polyhhydramnios, a kidney condition, size concerns, and general anxiety), we decide to start my induction the following day, at 37 weeks and 6 days’ gestation.

October 8th, 2015: Nathan George arrives safely at 7:42am following a 13 hour induction; at 38 weeks’ gestation, he is 8lbs 3oz, 20.5 inches long.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s